Thursday, August 11, 2011

Long over-due update and back surgery

I will give an update on Sam and then give a little info about Isa and our family in general.

Sam had the much dreaded back surgery yesterday. We spent last week at the beach (a whole other story) so I had no Internet access there. Therefore I wasn't able to communicate as well before his surgery as I would have liked. So far his post-op experience has been better than we could have dared hope. Pain is managed well, no nausea, no neurological complications, and no signs of infection. Praise God! He is still heavily medicated and in a deep sleep even now. There is, however, a down side..prior to surgery, we (neither therapists nor doctors) were able to isolate his hip vs back movement...so once they locked his back straight they didn't know if Sam would have enough hip flexion (bending) to be able to sit. Turns out he doesn't--so now he has straight back and straight hips. He is not able to sit upright (which is a real problem)...so as soon as he is able to tolerate (a month, two?) Sam will require another hip surgery- similar to the one he had in Kansas. So we are trying to figure out how to manage day to day activities until we have surgery...and are trying to decide if we will stay here or go back to Virginia for the surgery.

So that brings me to Virgina; we moved there in June. (Chip moved in April.) Chip's mom, Mama Peggy, passed away at the end of FEB. We miss her very much. Before Mama Peggy's death we were able to spend almost every weekend with her in Columbus. We spent a lot of time in the car, time which God redeemed; it forced us to bond as a family more quickly than I think we would have otherwise.

So that brings us to Isa--she been home nine months and is doing really well. I didn't blog so much about her adjustment because I'm not sure how Isa will feel about her story being so public. However, I don't think she'd mind if I tell how funny she is. Isa loves to imitate people in our family. She does us all, but my favorite is her impersonation of me on my death bed: back of hand to forehead, "Sam, do your homework! Isa, no kiss boys!"

So I will continue to update on Sam's progress. As always, the Hueys are sustained by your prayers. Thank you...K

No comments: